Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Petty Tyrants

I’ve noticed in all my dealings with government officials and federal employees that there are two reactions to having that kind of job. Let’s start with the understanding that the whole “having a job thing” is a bother and anyone who asks questions or makes them work is an added inconvenience. Now keeping that premise in mind there are two major (many more minor) reactions when you need any help. The first reaction is that the person stays relatively normal. The second reaction is that the person goes power mad, in this case it doesn’t matter how much or little power the person actually possesses. You can, for instance, have a power mad receptionist and it’s ugly.

But I’m not sure who raises these people? Certainly, my parents never said that it was acceptable to insult or be really sarcastic to strangers. I know I would have some harsh words for my children if they routinely acted like mouthy seven year olds! I was on the phone with some winner from the post office. I said that I didn’t think my mail had been forwarded yet. “You don’t think?” She responded.

I thought about saying, “I’m sorry. I didn’t realize you weren’t a native speaker. I don’t think means that I am not 100% certain but it is not likely.” But, unfortunately in times like these, my parents’ installation of good manners surfaces and I don’t say anything that I desperately want to say. However, the longer I live in the East the closer I get to saying it. (No, it’s not living in the East I’m just turning crabby.) I have to be satisfied with saying, “No, I don’t think it has.” Do these people think I have nothing better to do than talk to them. I don’t want to talk to them. They give me headaches and cause me to rededicate myself to teaching my children good manners! When I would much rather sit at the computer, eat chocolate and let my children raise themselves.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...