Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Let Me State This As Clearly As I Can

I listened to a "momversation" on a blog that I read, Dooce (my comment is #360). I don't usually watch the momversations because they're often dull (meaning they're usually about something I don't care about) and come with a commercial and if I want to watch a commercial I can walk downstairs and turn on the TV. But, of course, because this one said the magic word "vaccination" I was compelled to watch it even though I knew it would make me crazy!

It didn't. But that's because the moms were respectful and thoughtful, which quite frankly, is as much as I can expect. The comments were full of foolish and uninformed statements like Wakefield's data was made up. Actually ... his case is in court right now. That means that it hasn't been. At least not yet ... wink. And someone brought up the Danish Study. Yes, that one. The study that was done by a pharmaceutical company that surprisingly enough cleared a pharmaceutical product. The study that the 2 of the 3 cohorts didn't reach the average age of diagnosis for autism and unexpectedly found that there weren't very many autistic kids in their study. Go figure.

Just to be clear: Vaccines are one of the environmental triggers that cause autism in genetically susceptible children.

4 comments:

R. Hansen said...

check this out: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/03/03/A-Vaccine-Form-You-Can-Give-to-Your-Pediatrician.aspx

R. Hansen said...

I guess that got cut off... here it is in chunks:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/
archive/2009/03/03/A-Vaccine-Form-You-Can-Give-
to-Your-Pediatrician.aspx

Life as the mother of 4 said...

I went back and added the link to the blog and my comment. I think I'll write something more about vaccines at some point. Part of the problem with discussing this is that I've forgotten more about vaccines than most people ever know. I wish I didn't. I wish I didn't have the motivation to spend hundreds of hours over the last five years learning about vaccines but I did. And it's hard to have a conversation about vaccines without sounding like a lecturer.

Mazo said...

I'm very interested in learning more - do you have previous posts on the topic?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...