Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wasting Time

When Lizzy was little a couple of people told me she was brilliant. “Sweet!” I thought. “I don’t have to teach her anything because if she's so brilliant she'll pick it up on her own.” It really hasn’t worked out well for her as her reading and math skills are sub par. So, naturally, I told her teacher I was signing her up to be evaluated for the gifted and talented program.

Her teacher looked at me in confusion. “Oh, well ... let me know how that goes.” She said.

I got a letter in the mail today from Framingham’s Gifted and Talented program. It said there was a meeting tomorrow for parents to learn more about SAGE. My thought -- “Fine, but did she get in?” I called the number on the paper to ask but they said they couldn’t tell me over the phone because of privacy issues.

No problem. I understand that. I didn’t tell the lady, but I was thinking I have kids with special needs; Lizzy not getting into SAGE is not even my biggest thing today.

My biggest concern at that moment was honestly not wasting an hour if she didn’t get in. I can waste that hour in so many more enjoyable (or even, frankly, boring ways)! But heaven forbid I waste that hour on anything pertaining to my children if I don't have to!

1 comment:

Eileen said...

I don't blame you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...