Thursday, February 26, 2009

I Hate Cooking Dinner!

Last week my husband asked me to come up with a schedule for weekly dinners. I said, “Great idea. I’ve been trying to do that for ten years and it really hasn’t worked for me.” Now let’s add the complexity of William’s gluten and casein free diet and his unique dietary preferences to the weekly menu idea. Alright, one dinner is refried beans in a bowl, another night a plate of French fries – ok, that leaves three more nights . . . any other suggestions? Then just for fun let’s stir in no condiments for Bri, no Thai food, no vegetables in her curry for Lizzy. Nothing remotely resembling a casserole for any of the children – unless it has hotdogs in it, Oh, wait that’s right, Lizzy hates hotdogs. Jacob and Lizzy started eating rice last year but they're not really keen on vegetables. Bri only likes mozzarella cheese. Everyone but Will likes split pea soup and chili, but of course, he refuses to eat soup period.

We decided on a Mexican night and a pasta night. Tonight was pasta night. I asked Jake to set the table and put things for salad on the table. I contaminated the spaghetti sauce with hamburger. While I was comforting Lizzy the spaghetti was slowly running out of water and let’s just say it did not turn out al dente. We sat down to a table missing glasses and Lizzy complaining about hamburger in her spaghetti. Bri said, “This is the best dinner.” Lizzy politely agreed as she kneeled on the ground, her head on the floor muttering about the ruination of her dinner. Jake decided his spaghetti was not saucy enough he opened a new jar and literally (not exaggerating at all!) poured 4/5th of the jar on his plate! Then I took Will in the bathroom to scrub down his orange face and belly.

3 comments:

Eileen said...

Tell everyone to deal with it except William.

It might be harder in the short term. But, it will be better in the long term. Good luck!

Eileen said...

Oh! I have an idea! Give them liver. Let them know that that is what WE had to eat when we were little. They don't have it very hard at all!

Life as the mother of 4 said...

You're right. But I'm to old and tired to be that hardcore.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...