Tuesday, January 13, 2009

It Tastes Like Egg!

Monday morning I had a quandary about what to feed my children for breakfast. The toaster oven was blackened so toast and waffles were out. Unlike my sister Jane who literally crams gallon after gallon of milk in her fridge, I had run out of milk and my children really complain about eating dry cereal.

So, I made them an omelet. Because I was in a hurry I didn’t dice onion and green peppers to add to it – well, actually we had run out of green pepper too. Jake eyed the omelet suspiciously. His Something is Wrong meter was pinging. He took a bite. “It tastes like egg!” He complained. “I can’t taste the cheese because it doesn’t have green peppers!” He started complaining to Lizzy. “It’s not a true omelet! A true omelet has two things like: tomatoes and cheese, or green peppers and cheese, or red pepper and cheese!”

I interrupted him, “Put salsa or ketchup on it.”

“It tastes like egg!”

This is a child that only started eating green peppers willingly over the Christmas holiday. Truly, I wonder what he would have done if I’d added tomato. But I love the idea that I fed him a false omelet. Is that the culinary equivalent of a false church?

1 comment:

Eileen said...

You could use powdered milk, like me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...