Friday, December 24, 2010

Avoidance

I know I need to go to the store to pick up a couple of things and I know the longer I sit here the worse the traffic will be.  Yet, still I sit here -- avoiding it.  Sigh.  Will is sitting on a chair listening to Lori Berkner on his iPad and stimming on a Dr. Seuss book.  One of the twenty plus books I've had to "buy" from the library because he wrote on them.  He's not wearing pants.  But I doubt that surprises anyone.  Will is more stimmy than usual today because someone gave Bri sweet rolls.  Will found them and ate one.  I don't think he's stopped vocalizing since he woke up.  Will peers intently at his book, one hand twisted up by his ear and eye, the other is spread out, two fingers bent in while the others are straight.  He bangs his knuckles on the books then brings it up the side of his head.  His fingers shake with intensity.  "Eeeeee," he croons as he stares, becoming increasingly wrapped up in his world and ignores us.  I hear an occasional slap.  He hits his right shoulder with the side of his hand then moves it up to rub his forehead. "Eahhhh."

3 comments:

Alysia - Try Defying Gravity said...

oh how well you described that moment. I was right there with you. There's no such thing as a quick trip to the store, is there?
The same thing happened to us two days ago - my son has a corn intolerance and he ate a whole candy cane (filled w/HFCS and other corn stuff I'm sure) and just today is coming down off his worst behavior in weeks. The food temptations this time of year are the hardest, especially when you have more than one kid.
I hope you get a moment to get out and do what you need to do.
Happy Holidays!
alysia

@jencull (jen) said...

I went out first thing this morning and got back, otherwise I would be avoiding it too. The shops are just so busy this time of the year. I hope you have a lovely Christmas and the vocalising/stimming eases. Jen

Life as the mother of 4 said...

@Alysia Food allergies are awful! I hate depriving Will but it's just not worth it because he doesn't sleep, gets very stimmy, won't learn at school and has so many toileting accidents that our lives become very difficult.

@Jen I'm glad you got your shopping done! Good for you! Will should wake up tomorrow back to normal ... hopefully.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...