Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Trying to be a little healthier

My sister Eileen has gone organic, is feeding her kids more vegetables, etc.  And since she thinks I should do everything she does, she is dragging me along with her.  Last year I signed up for a share in an organic farm but I was overwhelmed with green things.  So, I didn’t do it this year but now I am reconsidering.  We’ve have bees on our roof, a composter, and my husband planted zucchini by our mailbox and somehow that makes one either a lot odd or a little crunchy (probably both – but hey, at least we’re not boring).

Eileen’s latest thing is green smoothies, smoothies with a base of spinach or kale.  She sent me links.  So, naturally since I do a lot of what she tells me to do.  I made one yesterday.  I put two bananas in my blender then stuffed it full of spinach and turned it on.  Then I turned it off, took out most of the spinach, added a little water, turned back on the blender and added spinach a little at a time.  Once that was blended I added a drizzle of honey (because I’m expecting I have to start using a lot), frozen blackberries (which turned the green smoothie brown).  Then I gave it to my mother-in-law . . . and Lizzy, Bri and I even drank a glass myself.

Lizzy, since she apparently wasn’t listening to the conversation preceding the smoothie, eagerly drank hers then became a little put out when she understood what was in it.  Brianne swallowed the only spinach leaf that wasn’t blended and castigated me for the oversight.  I thought it wasn’t bad and decided that Will should get a daily veggy smoothie because I know he’ll love it.

At lunch today, Bri asked for a green smoothie.  This time I started with a ton of spinach, added two bananas and then half a package of frozen mangos.  It was pretty good.  It didn’t need the honey so now I’ll have to come up with a new plan for using up my honey.  Perhaps a honey smoothie, or honey chicken, or honey over zucchini.

3 comments:

Pillow Queen Mother said...

My favorite green smoothie:
1 banana
1 mango
spinach
apple juice - add enough so it blends up well.

Enjoy!

Life as the mother of 4 said...

I'll try it. I had Will drink some yesterday and he did without much complaining. But then he'll eat spinach anyway.

Eileen said...

Yay for green smoothies!!!

I have had success with most people I have given a sample to. But, no luck with my FIL. He prefers milk shakes. ;)

Start with a cup or two of water. Then, fill the blender full with greens. Blend slightly. then fill the blender again with greens. Then puree really well. Then add your fruit. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...