Thursday, July 15, 2010

Addendum to Books

I forgot to mention I also read The Messenger by Lois Lowry.  Naturally, it was wonderful.  I didn’t realize that it was a sequel to Gathering Blue until I started reading it and recognized characters. These books are part of the Giver Trilogy and all are well worth reading!

I’m in the middle of The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell.  This has been on my mental list to read since I saw her on Jon Stewart some time ago.  It’s interesting.  It’s different from the history books I usually read.  It’s conversational rather than “just the facts ma’am” history I’m use to.  I think I like it.  I definitely will finish it.  But I put it down for a week while I tried to wrap my head around the idea of a history book this different.  Since I already understand the difference between separating and non-separating Congregationalists and have some background knowledge of this time period; I’m enjoying reading Vowell’s asides and viewpoints juxtaposed with the history.  

(But after reading the NYT's review I'm concerned that it's just because I think I'm cool that I already knew most of the stuff about the Puritans -- Ack!)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...