Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Books

Bri and I just read The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.  It was wonderful!  I read it again, right after I finished it the first time.  Coraline scared me but I'm a sucker for Newbury Medal winners so I picked it up.  Good choice.  Hopefully he'll write a sequel.

I read Years of Dust: The story of the Dust Bowl by Albert Marrin.  I thought it was a great pictorial history book for children.  I'm going to make Bri and Jake read it for some background on that period of time.

I also read Heroes of the Valley by Jonathan Stroud.  Stroud wrote the Bartimaeus Trilogy and thus would be hard pressed to do wrong in my eyes.  It's a good adventure novel with a less likely protagonist.  Bri will love it.

Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst is a fun modern fairy tale.

The Roar by Emma Clayton was interesting.  I'll read the next book in the series.  It's a younger young adult fiction book, a negative utopia.

For adults I recommend The Big Short : Inside the Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis.  It's a great read; infuriating and depressing naturally, as is anything that is written about how financial companies robbed us.  But don't let that stop you from reading it.  I loved reading about Michael Burry, a one-eyed physician turned stock picker who was later diagnosed with Asperger's.  (I always root for people on the spectrum to be successful.)

1 comment:

Eileen said...

You are so fun! I have been reading informational books.
You need to read them, too. :)

The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife
Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels

In the middle of The Ultimate PCOS Handbook by Colette Harris and Theresa Cheung

Checked out from the library but haven't started yet:
SuperFoods Health Style: Proven Strategies for Lifelong Health by Steven Pratt and Kathy Matthews
Green for Life by Victoria Boutenko

Requested from the library:
Eat to Live
and a bunch of others that I can't remember right now.

So much to read, so little time...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...