Tuesday, November 16, 2010

That Isn’t Your Life

Cheryl and I walked down a street in our neighborhood.  She told me about one of her friends who stresses over Thanksgiving every year. She always has her family over because it’s easier for her daughter who has Down Syndrome.  Her sister lives in the Cape and she mused about how nice it would be to have Thanksgiving there.  Cheryl told her, “No, it wouldn’t!  You’re imagining a relaxing dinner, and then talking with adults while the children play.  That’s not your life.”

“Oh, I wish it were mine!”  I burst into her story.  But it won’t ever be mine, not even when I’m old.  And I don’t want it to be mine ... not really; because if that ever was my life then William wouldn’t be there and that would be much, much worse.  But I admit to being a little envious of people whose life is like that.

7 comments:

Big Daddy Autism said...

I think those loevely, relaxing Thanksgiving dinners are only on TV. (Btw, It's not my kids who make it miserable in my house.)

Danielle said...

I love William too! I wish you all could come down for Thanksgiving! Love you!- danielle

The Henrys said...

Me too! Sometimes, it would be so nice...but like you said, I wouldn't change it if it meant not having Gracie in my life.

Life as the mother of 4 said...

@Big Daddy -- but if it was a sitcom mine would come with a nanny and cook!

@Danielle -- I love you too! My dad called me and invited me and Marcy's family over for Thanksgiving, I said he lived to far away.

@The Henrys -- I guess I have to dream about it, sigh.

Tracy DeLuca said...

*sigh* Sometimes I feel that way. Then I remember that no one in my family is really sane. So it wouldn't work even if all 3 of my kids were perfectly behaved angels. *shrugs* Oh well. My fantasy life is rich and rewarding! LOL

Anonymous said...

I suspect you are "better" parents exactly because you have to pay more attention to your children than the parents who sit around talking to other parents.

The critical test for all parents is the attention, love, and time they pay to their children.

That, is called parenting. For most it is just ". . . a small moment. . ." For some it is a bit longer.

Enjoy while you can, it only seems like forever.

Eileen said...

Lunches with friends, working out with friends at a GYM, shopping without kids during the day, haircuts in general: those aren't part of my life either. Can I be a little envious of your life? ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...