Friday, November 12, 2010

Pants are Optional

AutismLearningFelt

Will doesn’t like to wear clothes.  I don’t know why.  Maybe they’re uncomfortable, or binding, or not the right name brand.  For years he’d only wear a diaper or underwear and strip every time I dared put a shirt or pants on him.  He also liked to run away.  And often those two activities would intercept.  

Shortly after we moved into our current house, I was sitting at the computer when I heard the front door shut.  I casually looked out a window to see a half naked cherub running barefoot across the lawn.  I ran downstairs.  Though it was November I didn’t stop to put on shoes.  I ran out the door.  Will was wearing a tee-shirt and a pair of underpants turned around and running down the middle of the street.  I started chasing him.

I was slowly gaining on him.  We ran past a landscaping crew raking leaves.  Their heads turned, watching us run past.  A pick-up truck pulled alongside me.  The man rolled down his window, keeping up with me while barely pressing on the gas.  “Is everything alright?”  He asked.

Panting, I thought, “I’m chasing a pantless, coatless, shoeless, sockless autistic cherub who is running down the middle of the street.”  “No, I’m fine.”  I assured him.  Then putting a frantic burst of speed I caught hold of Will’s tee-shirt and slowed him down.

14 comments:

Big Daddy Autism said...

Too funny. My boy, at 13, still peels his pants off as soon as he gets home from echool.

Life as the mother of 4 said...

I know, William too! You would think that with as many times as he hears "put some pants on" he would internalize it! Wouldn't you? It hasn't worked yet. Seriously when he's twenty I don't want to be responsible for the eye damage to my kids' friends.

Anonymous said...

We were just at the playground and my daughter pulled down her pants and underwear. Earlier in the week she'd had a potty emergency outdoors and I took her behind a tree. And now she thinks that is the done thing at the park. Time for some unlearning!
I'm coming from the SN blog hop.

Connie said...

Oh, the adventures of moms! You never know what the day will bring. You must have been a good sprinter in high school. If not then, William, certainly helped you train for the event that day. Just think of how he is helping you stay in shape.

Life as the mother of 4 said...

spectrummymummy I had a child (who will remain nameless)who did that too -- drove me crazy!

Connie: if only that were true, but sadly it's not. Imagine one chubby cherub chasing another. The only difference -- the one coming up from behind is wearing pants.

Happy13 said...

I can see the whole story unfolding with Benny Hill music in the background.

Blessed2BaMommy said...

The clothes thing is such a sensory thing... what a story that was! I'm sure it is one of those things you can laugh about - now, but maybe not then LOL.

Hi from the special needs blog hop & thanks for visiting me!

Lynn said...

HAHA! Just another day at the office for us right?
"Everything's fine...nothing to see here." Too funny!

Stopping by from the SN Blog Hop...thanks for stopping by mine!

Stacie said...

LOL that is too funny! My son hates to wear clothes. We are trying to keep him in at least shorts. We had moments of him sneaking out side running around in his underwear. Thanks for joining in the blog hop :)

Varda said...

After years of being very compliant we are now having clothing wars with J. He only wants to wear short sleeves. Which is OK until the temperature really drops, I suppose.

But when it's in the teens? I will need to win this one.

I love the image of you running down the street after the cherub. With all the traffic here in NYC, I just thank my lucky stars that J is not a runner.

(Returning the hop stop)

Dani G said...

Must have been a very funny scene- maybe not at the time, but still...

Hopping by from the blog hop!

Life as the mother of 4 said...

Oh, it was funny even then! The whole situation was absurd. Thanks for stopping by.

Unknown said...

Although I am sure it wasn't funny to you at the time, that was a great write. I assure you, you are not alone.

The Henrys said...

That's really funny. At least the man asked if everything was okay and didn't just drive on by.

Here from the blog hop!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...